Friday, April 30, 2010

[Poem#15] My Mother's Sunglasses

I found them when I was cleaning out the old teal
Ford Explorer, handed down to me when I left home
for college and now waiting for the tow truck to be taken
to that final resting place - the salvage yard - due
to a cracked radiator hose and a faulty transmission.

While leaning across the driver's and passenger's seat
to the small pocket on the door, I pulled out old pens
from insurance companies in South Dakota, a pad of paper
from a funeral home in Washington, receipts from gas
in Oregon, remnants of travels taken and life lived.

They were at the bottom of the pocket, tucked behind a map
of Montana. Brown specs, rounded, tortoiseshell,
a little too outdated to be new, a little too late 80s to be retro.
When I put them on, I saw her: brown hair wavy and unruly,
short and stylishly unfashionable, her kind eyes hidden

in the mirrored lenses that warded off the Minnesota sun
that glinted off the white snow. For a second, her eyes
were mine, and I loved that 22-year-old version of herself,
edgy and lively, and I loved the 22-year-old version of myself,
because we were the same behind my mother's sunglasses.

2 comments:

  1. This is very solid. I'm looking forward to discussing it with you once we have another writing meeting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on! When are we going to have another writing meeting?

    ReplyDelete