Friday, April 30, 2010

True quote of the day...

"Creative work is not a selfish act or a bid for attention on the part of the actor. It's a gift to the world and every being in it. Don't cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you've got."

-p.165, The War of Art, Steven Pressfield

I think this taps into the fear of the artist who lacks confidence (read: me). Every once in a while (read: every day), I find myself doubting my intentions. I wonder if I'm doing this writing deal because I love it or because I need attention, accolades. Am I creating for myself or am I creating for the world? And if it's the latter, who the hell do I think I am to even imagine I'm impacting the world in such a way?

No. My creation is a tribute to my own Creator. And even if it doesn't change the world, I hope that I'm making the world a little more rich because I am sharing my perspective on it. It would be selfish to keep this gift to myself...and it is a gift. I need to do something with it.

Even if I'm a grumpy pants on occasion. And I don't feel like creating and I don't feel like I have anything at all to offer. Like tonight, for example.
I will show up. I will do my work, even if my work is crappy. I will do it.

Though ice cream would help.

No comments:

Post a Comment